John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A large and impressive church in a farmyard setting. There is some eleventh century masonry, although the building was much enlarged in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries under the personal patronage of successive Archbishops of Canterbury, whose Manor this was. The base of the medieval Rood Screen survives, as does a run of fifteen medieval stalls. Good quality nineteenth and twentieth century glass includes a fine west window by Heaton Butler and Bayne, and an image of the Risen Christ by Frederick Cole. There is a Norman font with a bulgy seventeenth century cover whilst in the south wall of the chancel there is an elaborate three seater sedilia with an ensuite doorway. The tower dates from the sixteenth century and the join in the stonework shows that it was added to an existing building.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.