John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
An isolated church at the end of a lane above the River Medway. Norman origins are obvious - three windows in the east wall indicate the earliest work. The nave is also early and to this was added the fifteenth century tower with stair turret and needle-like spire. The north aisle was a nineteenth century addition and the chancel was restored by Sir Ninian Comper and represents some of his earliest work. Later generations have, unfortunately, undone much of his original design. The memorable feature of the church is the set of fourteenth century Rhenish carvings showing St Michael, Samson and Our Lord worked into bench ends in the chancel.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 250
Morning Attendance: 150
Afternoon Attendance: 180
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1850 Hakewill
Second Restoration: 1898 Comper
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.