John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A memorable interior with very unusual stone capitals supporting the brick arcades. Built at about the same time as St George, it has a very different feel - a warmth conveyed by the use of bare brick, and a slightly more reverential treatment of the chancel. This is achieved by the use of Early English as opposed to Decorated architecture, the proportion of window to wall much less. Most of the stained glass is mid twentieth century by Leonard Evetts, although two are by Karl Parsons of 1912 (see also Eastchurch). These represent Our Lady and St Joseph and Zachariah and Elizabeth (carrying an empty nest as she was past child-bearing). The altar is carved with symbols of the Passion. The (later) rood screen and figures are designed at just the correct size to dominate the nave without distracting from the view of the main altar. The church was not completed until 1933.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Stenning and Hall 1878
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.