John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
Set at the end of the High Street the asymmetry of the building is most pleasing. The thirteenth century original was much alerted in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries - the latter being the date of the nave with its crown post roof. The font, sedilia and piscina are all designed to show off the local `Bethersden Marble`, the only local stone that can take a polish. A good selection of memorial brasses includes one to Margaret Godwell who died in 1499. The last lines of its inscription has been obliterated - a common occurrence when prayers for the souls of the departed later caused offence.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 600
Morning Attendance: 114
Afternoon Attendance: 255
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.