John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A connoisseur's church built in the thirteenth century by a man called Adulphus to replace a Saxon church. About a hundred years later the church was substantially enlarged under Sir Thomas Aldon, a courtier of Edward III. Stained glass shields of the King and associated Kentish families still survive as part of the fantastic East window where the upper lights actually follow the curve of both the external arch and the arch of the three main lights below. How fine it must have looked when completely glazed in stained glass. The south porch has a rare fireplace - showing that it may have been adapted to cater for pilgrims on their way to the shrine of Becket at Canterbury Cathedral. Of the same date is the fine screen and possibly the floor tiles. In the north transept is a good example of late fifteenth century wall painting. It depicts the Trinity and is set in a series of decorative frames. Regrettably the dove - central to the story as representative of the Holy Spirit - has long disappeared.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 394
Morning Attendance: 170
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.