John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A lovely light church. The tower is thirteenth century, but the rest was a mid nineteenth century rebuilding by Alfred Waterhouse. This was gutted in a fire of 1989 but has since been rebuilt as an exceptional example of using the disaster to get a traditional church with all mod cons! A clerestory was installed so that more light than ever streams into the nave. Some of the Waterhouse-designed glass survives in the base of the tower but the rest is mid to late 20th century including work by Lawrence Lee and John Hayward. The north chapel contains some good 17th and 18th century memorials.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 333
Morning Attendance: 156
Afternoon Attendance: 103
Evening Attendance: 101
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1864 Alfred Waterhouse
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.