John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
This is the old church of St Mary, standing on the banks of the River Medway at one of its early crossing points. On the opposite bank stands Snodland, whose church has a similar tower and the suggestion that these buildings were used as shelters by medieval pilgrims is probably correct. The church was abandoned in the late nineteenth century when a replacement church was built to the designs of E W Stephens in the village centre. This was subsequently demolished in the 1980s, but the old church was not brought back into use. Maintained on a shoestring for decades, by the 1950s the old church was almost derelict. Then it was saved by the Friends of Friendless Churches and eventually vested in The Churches Conservation Trust. Its walls tell of early thirteenth century aisles long demolished, whilst the clear glass windows shed much light into this simple and peaceful building. Keyholder nearby West tower, nave and chancel in one, south porch.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 146
Morning Attendance: 74
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
The Churches Conservation Trust
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.