John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Standing high on a slope above the valley floor, this two-cell church is of Norman origin and was sensitively restored by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1871. Both north and south doorways are of the twelfth century - the former being protected by one of Scott's typical openwork porches. The south doorway has some excellent medieval graffiti of interlacing patterns. One of the best features inside is the tall pulpit of seventeenth - century date which stands next to an excellent wooden chancel screen by Scott. It shows how much character could be introduced to a relatively plain building in the course of a good nineteenth-century restoration. The chancel roof is rather fun - painted with lively crowns and stars!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 150
Morning Attendance: 53
Afternoon Attendance: 102
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: GG Scott 1871
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.