All Saints, Frindsbury Church

Image Source: 1930s photograph


An unappealing location, but nonetheless a church worth searching out. Views from the churchyard across the Medway to Rochester and Chatham are superb and the church spire is a well-known local landmark. The church suffered a severe Victorian restoration when a north aisle was added, yet attempts were made to salvage those parts of the old church that were appropriate. The architect was renowned John Loughborough Pearson. The tall chancel arch is Norman, as are the three round-headed windows in the east wall which retain some of their original paintings. There is a hagioscope from the ringing chamber to the church (for the Sanctus bell ringer) but the two large openings to either side of the chancel arch are nineteenth century. By the font is a rare wooden inscription to the Butler family dating from 1621. The font itself is fifteenth century and has a fine crocketed wooden cover with a counterbalanced weight adorned with the head of a winged cherub! The churchyard contains many headstones with Naval connections including one to a man who served at Trafalgar.



Church Data


1851 Census Details


Seating Capacity: No return

Morning Attendance: 387

Afternoon Attendance: 250

Evening Attendance: No service


Architecture Details


Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: 1883 John Loughborough Pearson

Second Restoration: -


Contact Details


Queries Relating to this Church


To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You