John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Dave Godden
The `moving` church, built in Parrock Street in the town centre in 1854 and moved here in the 1930s. When it was moved it was extended to the west and also given a much higher roof, which ahs meant that it is lighter and more impressive than when first designed. Indeed, its architect, Carpenter, was a darling of the ecclesiological Society but he was criticised for the meanness of the building – an accusation that certainly couldn’t be laid at its feet today. The church is a veritable treasure trove of old master-style paintings, donated over the years by wealthy members of the congregation. The lovely tracery of the east window creates a fantastic focal point and there is an excellent church guide with details of all the stained glass and other furnishings, including a superb model boat. All this inside a church that from the outside hardly draws attention!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Richard Carpenter 1854
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.