John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A lovely light church designed by W Caroe and founded on aristocratic money, predominantly of the Earls of Cranbrook. Its quirky west tower emerges from the roof and west wall of the church, though the eyes are for ever driven heavenwards by the huge fleche mid way down the roof. Inside, the blank wall arcades are reminiscent of the church at Gillingham designed by Temple Moore at about the same time. There is little stained glass, but everything here is of the best quality, including the chairs purchased from Canterbury cathedral. The font ahs also come from elsewhere and dates from the 1860s, a full 40 years before the date of this church. St Barts is a lively and welcoming church which appreciates its building (with all the problems that can sometimes bring) and it deserves to be better known amongst churchcrawlers.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Caroe 1913
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.