John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Remote and peaceful Hinxhill is the archetypal country church. Almost all dating from the 13th century, the narrow north aisle is a typical give way – designed to be used as a processional space without benches. The lovely lancet windows, with trefoil headed tops are small and low whilst the north chapel has one with a rere-arch, a sign of wealth in the latter 13th century. The odd chancel screen is dated to the 17th century and the woodwork of the pulpit is probably of that date too. The stained glass is Victorian and mostly by the Scottish firm of Ballantyne – a catalogue of changing fashion. The south chancel window of Christ weeping is particularly good. The fine Royal Arms is one of several in Kent by Marten of Tenterden and well worth a look. To the north of the chancel is a seventeenth century tomb with good effigies and skulls beneath – which legend says was walled up with plaster for two hundred years before being re displayed by the Victorians. In the vestry is a delightful piece of continental glass of probable seventeenth century date.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 200
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: 110
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.