St Lawrence's Church, Hougham  Church

Image Source: John Salmon


In its day this must have been a magnificent church. Its day would have been during the period 1100 to 1150, for a large building was constructed at this time. Even today the remains are impressive. As in many east Kent churches there is no chancel arch. There is a tremendous lean to the south chancel wall. It also shows the blocked arcade to a former south chapel. The north chapel has an impressive east window in Early English style which was copied by the Victorians when they replaced the chancel east window, and for once it is possible to compare the Victorian and medieval work almost side by side. While nineteenth-century windows are fine elsewhere in the church this juxta-position at Hougham clearly demonstrates the superiority of the medieval work. By far the most interesting feature at Hougham is the tower. The arch from the nave is particularly lofty and leads into an extremely tall and spacious chamber which can best be described as cavern-like.



Church Data


1851 Census Details


Seating Capacity: 150

Morning Attendance: No service

Afternoon Attendance: 57

Evening Attendance: No service


Architecture Details


Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: Messenger 1866

Second Restoration: -


Contact Details


Queries Relating to this Church


To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You