John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
The church is well known to travellers on the M2, but is difficult to find down a country lane outside Sittingbourne. It is the only surviving Anglican church to have been designed by E.W. Pugin. It was built by Lord Kingsdown in 1861 to replace a medieval church; it is built of ragstone with Bath stone dressings and displays a prettily patterned tile roof. The spire, with lucarnes, presents a very prickly outline. Inside the church the visitor finds one of the most complete Victorian interiors to survive in Kent. The stained glass by Hardman, tiles, metalwork and sculpture are all as Pugin intended. The windows of the chancel have some plain red glass to give a 'holy' atmosphere to the altar. At the opposite end of the church the deeply carved font stands on very solid marble shafts. A few survivals from the old church may be picked out, including some tiles in the vestry and a small sixteenth-century inscription tablet. The church is now cared for by The Churches Conservation Trust.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 38 estimate
Afternoon Attendance: 68 estimate
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Edward Welby Pugin 1865
Second Restoration: -
The Churches Conservation Trust
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.