John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Graham White
A flint church dating from the early Norman period, when imported stone for quoins was expensive. This is one of the handful of churches in the county where the corners were rudely formed of flint. In the fourteenth century the chancel was extended to the east and a tower added at the west end. Three well-known nineteenth-century designers were involved at Kingston. The east window is by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, the chancel roof by William White and the choir stalls by Norman Shaw. Of medieval date is a plain Perpendicular piscina and a good aumbry, whilst the pulpit is a typical example of sixteenth-century work.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 180
Morning Attendance: 108
Afternoon Attendance: 111
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: William White 1873
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.