John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
The familiar country scene of Norman church, medieval Court and sprawling farmyard - but the history of Luddenham is far from standard. Here we have a promontory of land which formerly provided wharves off the River Swale some way to the north. Indeed, the place name gets it origin from the Saxon `Lud` meaning a river. The church is now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust and consists of nave, chancel and south tower. The latter dates from the early nineteenth century and replaced a tower which originally stood to the north of the nave. The west door is a rather weather-beaten twelfth century example. Following redundancy, the church lost most of its furnishings, so its vast spacious interior is something of a surprise to the visitor. There are some medieval tiles in the sanctuary, where graffiti on the glass records those who were probably too poor to have permanent memorials outside. At the back of the church is a fragment of thirteenth century coffin lid brought here from the ruined church at Stone, about a mile to the south west. Rather touchingly it has a heart clasped by two hands in its crisp carving. The church is usually open.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 85
Morning Attendance: 90
Afternoon Attendance: 80
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
The Churches Conservation Trust
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.