John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A church that is often dismissed as being of little interest, yet this thirteenth-century building, so harshly restored in the nineteenth, shows a wide variety of items of interest. There is part of the brass of a knight, Sir James Montacute, that was obviously damaged when the south arcade was rebuilt. The stencilling on the walls and ceiling was executed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne in l894, while the excellent reredos of the Last Supper was designed by Ewan Christian and carved by Earp in 1873. The nineteenth-century patrons of the living - the Wigans from East Malling - spent enormous sums beautifying this church and creating something of which the Victorians could be proud. Although as part of their work they heightened and repointed the tower it was not completely rebuilt and the remarkable medieval rough wooden ladder survives inside. Visit the church's own website here.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 80
Morning Attendance: 50
Afternoon Attendance: 90
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1866 Pope
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.