John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Edwardian Postcard
An enormous church, over 200 ft in length with a west tower 132 ft high. At the back of the church are substantial sections of Saxon walling - and early Saxon at that - whilst at the east end of the church the visitor can see some very recent work, the stonework of the main east window of 1958 by Anthony Swaine. It is an excellent job, brought about by bomb damage. The three lancets that Mr Swaine introduced are fully in keeping with the rest of the building and contemporary in design with the seven-bay arcades of the nave. The glass in the window is by Leonard Walker. In, the north chapel is the Stuppeny tomb - a fairly plain tomb chest - around which the bailiff and jurats of the town were formerly elected. Nearby is a medieval cross-legged knight of late thirteenth-century date. In the south aisle is the bust of Anne Russell, which is signed by Flaxman and is probably his earliest recorded monument. The south chapel contains a late thirteenth-century double piscina and the church also contains a large Royal Arms of George II.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 950
Morning Attendance: 300
Afternoon Attendance: 630
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Anthony Swaine 1951
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.