John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A most unusual and welcoming church consisting of tower, aisled nave, chancel and north and south chapels. There is no stained glass and the pews are plain, making the interior rather austere. The building dates from the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries - the double piscina in the chancel with an aumbry and image niche being the only medieval furnishings to survive. To the east of the narrow south aisle is the Champion Court Chapel, which was added to the church in the fifteenth century by the Champion family. In a church so thoroughly restored by the Victorians it is interesting to see this part of the building. Because it was privately owned the floor remains uneven and unrestored. Two rustic little tablets in the floor date from the late seventeenth-century burial of Henry Cromys. The beautifully kept churchyard and the spiky 1860s exterior of the church add much to the character of the whole village.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.