John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
One of the few churches dedicated to a Kentish saint - who was born at Minster in the seventh century and twentieth century glass in the east window shows her with her emblem, a deer. The church is a simple, late medieval structure of nave, chancel and west tower and stands in a large well-kept churchyard. Despite an over-heavy restoration the building retains much character. There is a good window between the ringing stage of the tower and the body of the church, to give the medieval sanctus bell-ringer a direct view of the High Altar. The reredos is an early work of the architect Sir Herbert Baker who lived at nearby Cobham. Near the south door are the remains of a fifteenth-century holy water stoup, while the good ledger slabs in the chancel include one where a prominent mistake by the stonemason was corrected to the best of his ability!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 100
Morning Attendance: 58
Afternoon Attendance: 45
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.