John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Another typical Kent two-cell church built of flint rubble. Of mid-Norman date it served a manor house and adjoining agricultural settlement which declined in the mid-seventeenth century when the lord of the manor moved elsewhere. Some windows were replaced in the thirteenth century when the present chancel arch with its funny-face headstops was constructed. The aumbry in the south wall of the nave is formed of chalk blocks which are visible outside, showing the relative thin-ness of the Norman walls. At the back of the church is a fine medieval wooden screen brought from elsewhere and formed into a gallery. For much of its history this church was used as both barn and cottage, and it is now cared for by The Churches Conservation Trust.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not used at time
Morning Attendance: Not used at time
Afternoon Attendance: Not used at time
Evening Attendance: Not used at time
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
The Churches Conservation Trust
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.