John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A large church of Norman origins, the west door being a much-weathered example of twelfth-century work. The south doorway is also Norman and has the remains of two mass dials carved into its dressed stonework. The masonry inside the church shows clear signs of fire damage, and a nice crownpost roof of the fourteenth century probably marks the date of the rebuilding after the fire. Of the same period are the returned stalls on the south side of the chancel - the fronts being little more than a series of plain upright planks, with some spectacularly proportioned poppy-heads at each end. Outside, the upper stage of the tower dates from the thirteenth century and has a small pyramidal roof with needle spire.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 350
Morning Attendance: 57
Afternoon Attendance: 149
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.