John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Edwardian Postcard
This is one of the most impressive churches in east Kent built to mirror the medieval importance of the port. The central tower is an elaborate Norman structure with a circular stair turret. Viewed from the west the three gables of the church present an unusual contrast: the outer aisles have tall pointed gables whilst the west wall of the nave has an almost flat gable. The wooden doors of the north porch have iron studs that record the initials of the churchwardens in 1655 when they were built. Internally the nave ceiling follows the same flat form, with little angels in its centre. Its predecessor must have been much lower, as indicated by the obvious roof line immediately above the crossing arch of the tower. The chancel is Early English and the east window is made up of a group of three lancets. There is a good Tudor hagioscope between chancel and north chapel, and the choir stalls are also of fifteenth-century date. The early fifteenth-century octagonal font has lost the statues from its corners, but shows the Tudor Rose, the Arms of the Cinque Ports and those of England and France.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 480
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: 315
Evening Attendance: 150
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Joseph Clarke 1865
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.