John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Easily identified from afar by its unusual cupola built in the seventeenth century to complete the reconstruction of the tower following its total collapse. The base of the tower still displays some medieval stonework, whereas the top is seventeenth-century brick. The interior is tall and light with a heavily timbered crownpost roof. Among many items of interest the church contains three fine canopied wall monuments. One of them shows a husband and wife of mid-fourteenth-century date. Their heads are turned a little to the south to face the altar and they have a particularly animated lion at their feet. The church is now maintained by The Churches Conservation Trust who allow the nave to be used for a variety of alternative uses. The Trust also has charge of St Mary's church a little further down the road and visitors are welcomed at both.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 500
Morning Attendance: 310
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
The Churches Conservation Trust
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.