St Andrew's Church, Shepherdswell  Church

Image Source: John Salmon


Sibertswold is sometimes shown on maps as Shepherdswell. The tiny church is entirely Victorian and is a building of great charm designed by Benjamin Ferrey in 1863. It is built of local flint with Bath stone dressings and is distinguished by a little spirelet over, but not quite on, the west end. The interior is simple and consists of nave, apsidal chancel and little transepts. The east windows are by the St Helens Crown Glass Co., and represent the Ascension and Four Evangelists. The south window of 1900, by Kempe, shows the Epiphany. The good polished marble decorative shafts to either side of the chancel arch, together with the corbels in the nave, are typical of Ferrey's work. It is a pity that the original font, which was of fine Cornish marble and had matching marble shafts, had to be destroyed, owing to its instability, in 1955.



Church Data


1851 Census Details


Seating Capacity: No return

Morning Attendance: 100

Afternoon Attendance: 100

Evening Attendance: No service


Architecture Details


Original Build Date/Architect: Benjamin Ferrey 1863

Restoration: -

Second Restoration: -




Contact Details


Queries Relating to this Church


To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You