John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
The porch is of very solid fifteenth-century workmanship with good, though weathered, carvings in the spandrels and plain bargeboards above. Inside the church the greatest treasure is the rood screen, with its original loft - 6 ft 6 in wide. It shows the Pomegranate of Catherine of Aragon carved on its door, and this may help us date it to the visit of Henry VIII and his queen to nearby Otford Palace in 1520. The pulpit of 1827 is by Blore and is one of two in the county that originally stood in Westminster Abbey (the other is at Trottiscliffe). In the south wall is a window of 1903 depicting Joy, Creation and Love by the firm of Morris and Co. A most unusual thing to find is the painting of Lt Verney Cameron, who led the expedition to find David Livingstone in 1873, painted by Charles Cope RA.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 350
Morning Attendance: 215
Afternoon Attendance: 167
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.