John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A large fourteenth-century church entered from the High Street by a path which runs under a cottage. The building is full of interesting details including, on either side of the chancel arch, two tiers of blank arcades that each formed a reredos to a side altar. They are quite a feature of the church - their present appearance enhanced by early twentieth-century paintings. Near the entrance is a really solid medieval almsbox of late fifteenth-century date. A copper plate was fixed to its top to form a slot for the coins - and uniquely this piece of copper was really Limoges enamel! The inlaid scenes may still be seen, even though they are badly worn. Under a south window in the chancel are three elaborate sedilia, with a fine battlemented top, and nearby there is a piscina, aumbry, low side window and even a wafer oven! There is a large recess in the north wall of the chancel that formed an Easter Sepulchre. In the south wall of the nave is the fifteenth-century rood loft staircase.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 500
Morning Attendance: 78
Afternoon Attendance: 222
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Joseph Clarke 1869
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.