John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Graham White
A church that is often overlooked by visitors who are drawn to nearby Canterbury. As a possession of St Augustine's Abbey in the Middle Ages, it is easy to see the amount of money lavished on this church over the centuries. This is nowhere more apparent than in the fourteenth-century work when the aisles were added to a twelfth-century nave. The extremities of the building - tower and chancel - are both still Norman and show ample architectural evidence in the form of round-headed windows. The chancel has an aumbry and early thirteenth-century piscina. There are few old monuments because of a severe nineteenth-century restoration, but there is a small fifteenth-century inscription near the font. The porch is an exceptional sixteenth-century timber-framed structure with later brick infilling.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 370
Morning Attendance: 310 estimate
Afternoon Attendance: 355 estimate
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.