John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: Graham White
Hidden at the end of a housing estate, St Johnís church is a fine example of the work of Victorian church designer Robert Wheeler of Brenchley. It uses crazy paving Ragstone on the outside with a patterned tile roof and huge fleche, but inside all is warm brick, polychromatic of course, and rather Hugh Victorian in style. The pulpit is a monster of a thing, but lovely all the same. There are just two memorials saved from the medieval church that stood on the same site, and both of those are Victorian anyway. There is a southern window by C E Kempe and Co to a solider who died in the First World War. Churches do not come simpler than this, but nonetheless its character is brimming over.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 62
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Wheeler
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.