John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A standard Blomfield church but one of great character and wealth. Built to replace the old church of The Blessed Virgin of Walmer and supplement accommodation at Victorian St Saviour's, this was always going to be a showpiece. The tall clerestoried nave is light and entered via a three bay baptistery. Immediately ones eyes are taken to the east end and the High altar and reredos designed by Powell's under tall triple lancet windows. The sanctuary tiling, of opus sectile, is in the same design as can be found at Meopham but here is brown rather than blue. The low alabaster chancel screen shows that Blomfield wished to nod to the Camden Society and their ideal that a chancel and nave should be structurally separate. To north and south the aisles are relatively narrow and terminate in lean to arches rather than complete ones into vestry (south) and chapel (north). However the remarkable thing about them is the sheer number of windows they contain. Five sets of three lancets race along each side. Those on the north represent saints and apostles whilst the south side has Old Testament figures from Moses to Hezekiah. They must give the Vicar many opportunities to illustrate his sermon! Most windows are by Powell's who must have been kept going by the wealth of money here.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Not built
Morning Attendance: Not built
Afternoon Attendance: Not built
Evening Attendance: Not built
Original Build Date/Architect: Blomfield 1887
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.