John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A large church with unmistakable spire and higher chancel roof. Now surrounded by housing but until the 11th century railway boom a really rural church. Outside, on the west gable of the south aisle is the remains of a Saxon window showing that the south aisle is the original church. Inside the atmosphere is severely Victorian but this doesn’t distract from the many items of interest. The north aisle was added in the 19c by Pearson, the arcades matching the 13/14 century ones on the south side but the windows being completely different with pointed tops as opposed to the square headed medieval ones elsewhere in the building. The chancel contains some good medieval glass removed from the east window in the 19th century. In the south chapel - once built as a chantry, is a huge memorial to a Victorian grandee with wonderful mutton chop beard! The low chancel screen and pulpit are obviously by Pearson also.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 331
Morning Attendance: 106
Afternoon Attendance: 161
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: J L Pearson 1868
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.