John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A pretty church that suffered at the hands of the nineteenth century restorer when the nave walls were stripped of plaster and the west tower rebuilt. The Norman north doorway is of considerable size - for the Archbishops of Canterbury had a palace here and their wealth is reflected in this structure. The thirteenth century string course in the chancel emphasises the liturgical changes in floor level, and there are two aumbries in the east wall behind the altar. A rather stilted figure of Sir Henry Palmer (d 1611) kneels under an Ionic portal with two Bethersden marble inserts. Another large marble monument commemorates Sir Thomas Pym Hales (d 1773) who is described as having displayed `increased benevolence to Mankind`. There is some surviving thirteenth century glass and a double piscina of the same period.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: -
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.