John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
The church lies at the far end of the village green. Visitors who do not first walk around the outside of the church wonder if they are ever going to get in - for they have to walk through two rooms first! From the outside it is not so puzzling; the first room is in fact the nave of the Norman church. Then comes the base of the fifteenth-century tower, built on the site of the Norman chancel. Only after we have gone through this do we come to the church proper - a complete fourteenth-century structure. It is wide, with two aisles, and relatively short. The chancel is well proportioned and has a definite lean to the south indicating medieval building error.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 434
Morning Attendance: 208
Afternoon Attendance: 219
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Ewan Christian 1875
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.