John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
One of the most isolated churches in Kent, situated on a lane that was closed to through traffic following the emparkation of Eastwell in the sixteenth century. The church is built of flint rubble and displays an interesting inset flint cross (one of three in Kent) on the west face of the tower. There is little stained glass as the church was severely damaged in the Second World War, but it is a direct result of that damage that has produced the wall paintings for which the church is now famous. When it was rebuilt two art students painted a series of murals in the north chapel to show stories from the lives of the patron saints, Cosmas and Damian. The figures are dumpy and stylised and altogether great fun! At the same time the chancel walls were painted by John Ward RA with scenes from the Life of Christ. These are more naturalistic and include portraits of local people in modern costume. One other furnishing of note survives - a prickett beam in the north chapel which was built in the fourteenth century to take votive candles, and a veil to hide the altar from view during Lent.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No return
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Harrisson, 1950
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.