John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A noble church which stands well away from the main road in a very large churchyard. The memorable feature is the second, or north, tower that stands behind the chancel. This is of Norman date, thus predating the present west tower by three hundred and fifty years. There are good pieces of tufa visible on the exterior. The chancel is thirteenth century, with three widely spaced lancets forming the east window, whilst the nave is mainly fourteenth century in date. The south chapel displays blocked two-light windows that were made redundant in order to accommodate seventeenth-century monuments within. The stained glass is a mixed bag - the best being the twentieth-century composition of Our Lady and Child in the north-east chancel lancet. Below, in front of the altar, is a veritable carpet of medieval tiles, no doubt collected from other parts of the building. The Royal Arms of George III dated 1795 hang over the south door while the nearby Norman font attracts much attention. It is of Kentish, or Bethersden, marble with a heavy cable moulding around the rim and is quite different in character to any other twelfth-century font in the county.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 400
Morning Attendance: 220
Afternoon Attendance: 280
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.