John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Like many medieval churches with this dedication, St Michael's stands on a hill, with fine views northwards across the Swale estuary. A complete fifteenth-century church, it is obviously much loved, and whilst it contains little of outstanding interest it is a typical Kentish village church of chancel, nave, aisles and substantial west tower. In the south aisle are three accomplished windows painted by a nineteenth century vicar's wife. There is a medieval rood screen and nineteenth-century screens elsewhere. In the churchyard is a memorial plaque to John Thom a.k.a. Sir William Courtenay, who raised an unsuccessful rebellion in nearby Bossenden Wood in May 1838 and who is buried in the churchyard.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 100 estimate
Afternoon Attendance: 270 estimate
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2021.