St Anthony The Martyr's Church, Alkham Church

Image Source: John Salmon

 

Picturesquely situated on a quiet bluff high above the main road, the simple flint exterior of Alkham church hides a remarkable surprise. From the south the building looks little different to many others in the region, but inside it immediately presents its trump card - a north aisle/chapel built in the thirteenth century which contains the finest blank wall arcading in any Kent church. This should be compared with the contemporary chancel arcading at Cooling and Woodchurch - in each designed to emphasise the importance of the (recently rebuilt) chancel. Here it served an altogether different purpose, competing with the nearby commandery of the Knights Hospitallers at Swingfield. At the west end of the nave, filling the tower arch, is a rather heavy but fine, wooden nineteenth century screen. The east window contains some fine nineteenth century glass. West tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch

 

 

Church Data

 

1851 Census Details

 

Seating Capacity: 170

Morning Attendance: No service

Afternoon Attendance: 140

Evening Attendance: No service

 

Architecture Details

 

Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: -

Second Restoration: -

 

Contact Details

 

Queries Relating to this Church

 

To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You