John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
The church presents a late thirteenth century rebuild of a Norman original. In the nineteenth century Ewan Christian had another go, but with a lighter hand than he sometimes used elsewhere. The south aisle battlements lead ones eye to a pretty little spirelet. The Rood Screen is a medieval survivor, dating from the fourteenth century, but it hardly challenges the majestic screens of Leeds or Lullingstone. In the chancel is a memorial brass to Thomas Coppinger (d. 1587) which originally stood in a north chapel, the foundations of which may still be seen outside. Until the mid nineteenth century the vicarage was actually joined onto the church - rare indeed!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: No return
Afternoon Attendance: No return
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1886 Ewan Christian
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.