Ss Peter And Paul, Boughton Under Blean  Church

Image Source: John Salmon


The name Boughton appears many times in Kent and is usually supposed to have started life as `the settlement near the beeches`. Boughton under Blean therefore is distinguished from others in Kent by being the one near the great forest of Blean. Now a long way from the centre of population it must once have supported a sizeable community. The highlight of the church is a monument to Sir Thomas Hawkins. This was designed by Epiphanius Evesham (see also Lynsted). The family lived at Nash Court and became a centre of recusancy. There are many brasses in the church dating from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries



Church Data


1851 Census Details


Seating Capacity: 525

Morning Attendance: 213

Afternoon Attendance: 480

Evening Attendance: No service


Architecture Details


Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: J.P. St Aubyn 1871

Second Restoration: -


Contact Details


Queries Relating to this Church


To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You