John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Standing on quite a hill overlooking a verdant valley, St Margaret’s is a Norman church with later alterations. The blocked Norman window may be seen on the north wall. The chancel is nineteenth century, replacing a classical one which in turn replaced a thirteenth century structure – and is remarkably long. The west tower is fifteenth century. Inside two blocked arches look as though they led into transeptual chapels but the northernmost would have cut through the Norman window, and as there is no evidence outside one suspects that the south chapel (the capital of which survives) did exist and that the northern arch was built to match it inside but in fact never led anywhere. The church was restored in 1880 and a north window commemorates the fact. It contains the fine arms of the Wykeham Martin family – including the eponymous bird. The eat window with grapes of many colours is slightly earlier and is rather fun. The font is Victorian and, amazingly for a church that has electricity, the organ is still hand-pumped! Outside is a `Holy Well` which is dressed each year. If only this church were visited by the thousands who pile into Leeds Castle just over the hill!
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 130
Morning Attendance: No service
Afternoon Attendance: No service
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: G M Hills 1879
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2020.