John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
A large church beautifully positioned next to the remains of the medieval Archbishop's Palace just off the High Street. The west tower was built in the late fifteenth century. During its construction the body of the church was destroyed in an accidental fire - started by a man shooting at pigeons on the roof. The replacement roofs are clearly dated on the tie-beams as 1592 and 1620. A fine early seventeenth-century pulpit and nice collection of eighteenth-century tablets add much to the character of the building. The south nave window is a very strange shape, basically square, with four lights of equal height surmounted by a net of elaborate triangles, quatrefoils and, unusually, an octofoil! It is of fourteenth-century date.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 650
Morning Attendance: 180
Afternoon Attendance: 349
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.