St Martin's Church, Cheriton Church

Image Source: John Salmon


A little-known and rarely visited church of Saxon origin. A double splayed window gives it away, and it is thought that the base of the thirteenth-century tower may have been a Saxon porch. The outstanding feature of Cheriton is the decorative arcading in the chancel. It consists of six deeply set arches to north and south. The shafts are of local Bethersden marble and are very finely carved. The lancet windows above are not placed centrally over the arcading - an unusual variation. A further oddity is the fact that the arcading does not include sedilia, which were almost a prerequisite of thirteenth-century rebuildings. Yet there is a sedilia in the south aisle, which dates from a hundred years later. Near the sedilia is a rustic standing monument of a woman.



Church Data


1851 Census Details


Seating Capacity: 270

Morning Attendance: 112

Afternoon Attendance: 143

Evening Attendance: No service


Architecture Details


Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: -

Second Restoration: -


Contact Details


Queries Relating to this Church


To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You