John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
The memory which most visitors will take away with them is one of white walls, blue carpet and blocked arches. The nave is exceptionally long but, surprisingly, the south aisle is shorter, leaving one bay of the nave and tower base almost as an appendage at the west end. Along the north and south walls are blocked arches - those in the south aisle obviously tomb recesses, and one still contains a thirteenth-century coffin lid. In the north wall the arches are more interesting. It is possible that they did not lead to a north aisle and were erected purely as a form of wall decoration. The south chapel contains a series of monuments to the Lennards and Stanhopes who lived in neighbouring Chevening House. One peers through the glazed screens to appreciate how many generations of worthies are buried there - represented by a series of monuments, sculptures, hatchments and heraldry. There is some fine modern stained glass in this much-loved church by Moira Forsyth and Keith and Judy Hill.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 270
Morning Attendance: 232
Afternoon Attendance: 180
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Second Restoration: 1902
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.