John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
This is one of the most unusual churches in Kent. As a result of rebuildings in the fourteenth century the church has a twin nave leading to a single chancel - the arcade ending oddly in the centre of the chancel arch. Only two other churches in England have this form of plan. Apart from the odd appearance this church is also a good place to study tufa - indicative of Norman work, as are the blocked twelfth-century windows that may still be seen. Many furnishings, including the pulpit, date from the years immediately following a serious fire in the early seventeenth century. There are many good memorials. Particularly impressive is the Draper memorial of 1674 which shows a stillborn son at the base. Another monument commemorates Lady Shovell, widow of Sir Cloudesley Shovell, the famous late seventeenth century admiral. Their house, May Place, stood in the parish. Stained glass has not been lucky at Crayford. The medieval glass was lost in a gunpowder explosion in 1864 and its replacements lost in the Second World War. There are several modern windows by Hugh Easton - his symbol, the windvane, being clearly displayed.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 653
Morning Attendance: 484
Afternoon Attendance: 394
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1860 Joseph Clarke
Second Restoration: 1864
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.