John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
Nave, chancel, north aisle and tower stand in a superb downland setting far from any village. The church is of Norman origin, as can be seen from the surviving window in the north wall of the nave. The semi-circular arches of the two-bay arcade are also late Norman. In the eighteenth century the fine reredos with a scrolly pediment and the altar rails were installed. Also in the chancel is a nice single sedile under a carved canopy. The stonework of the east window is entirely a nineteenth-century creation. The rood loft stairway survives. The narrow north aisle contains a handsome tomb chest to John Sprot (d. 1466), formed by an incised design on an alabaster slab removed here from the chancel. Sprot wears vestments and holds a chalice with the host displayed. His head rests on a pillow decorated with two little Bottonee crosses. It is a pity that it was not always mounted on a tomb chest as parts of the design have been worn away by the feet of centuries.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: No return
Morning Attendance: 50
Afternoon Attendance: 100
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Brock 1894
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.