John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
In an isolated position but well used and much loved, this church has its tower to the south east corner of the nave. There are several ancient yews in the churchyard which has been partly cleared. The nave walls seem extraordinarily tall for a Norman church and represents that familiar feature - the Saxo-Norman overlap. There are many surviving Norman windows although the church was much rebuilt by P.C.Hardwick in 1854. To the north of the chancel arch is a surviving corbel that would have supported the rood beam, and there are two piscinae of thirteenth century date, both with credence shelves. To the south of the high altar is a panelled tomb chest with a finely carved image bracket.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 310
Morning Attendance: 60
Afternoon Attendance: 65
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: Ewan Christian
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2017.