John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
An engaging little church with much evidence of Saxon work in its nave walls which are rich in re-used Roman tiles. A double splayed window may be seen over the north door. The chancel was built in the Norman period and there is a good hagioscope from the end of the south aisle to the High Altar. Fittings include Royal Arms of Charles II and a delightfully carved Norman font with a picture of a priest literally `dunking` a baby into it! A parish room built onto the south side of the church in 1970 means that the building is used throughout the week. The following is a link to a picture essay written by Julianna Lee, on the subject of the font at Darenth: http://www.green-man-of-cercles.org/articles/darenth_font_commentary.pdf .
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 204
Morning Attendance: 70
Afternoon Attendance: 106
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: 1866 Burges
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2016.