John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Salmon
A sweet little church on the edge of the village, unfortunately within earshot of the busy A249. Built of ragstone its main character is that of the early nineteenth century with its sturdy box pews, prickly reredos and pattern-book pulpit. There is a fine gothick memorial on the south side of the chancel. However, the pride of the church is undoubtedly the lectern, one of the earliest wooden examples in the county. It has four reading sides and swivels on its base. The local story that it comes from nearby Boxley Abbey is not improbable. It is old enough and close enough and is almost certainly too grand for the building it's now in.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: 127
Morning Attendance: 100
Afternoon Attendance: 95
Evening Attendance: No service
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: R C Hussey 1861
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2018.