St Mary's Church, Dover   Church

Image Source: John Salmon


In the heart of the town with a prominent twelfth-century tower. From the outside it is obvious that much work was carried out in the nineteenth century. The church has major connections with the Lord Wardens of the Cinque Ports and is much used for ceremonial services. The western bays of the nave with their low semi-circular arches are contemporary with the tower, while the pointed arches to the east are entirely nineteenth century. The scale and choice of stone is entirely wrong, although the carving is very well done. However the east end, with its tall narrow lancet windows, is not so successful. The Royal Arms, of the reign of William and Mary, are of carved and painted wood, with a French motto - Jay Maintendray - instead of the more usual Dieu et Mon Droit. The church was badly damaged in the Second World War, but one of the survivors was the typical Norman font of square Purbeck marble construction. One of the more recent additions to the church is the Herald of Free Enterprise memorial window of 1989 designed by Frederick Cole



Church Data


1851 Census Details


Seating Capacity: 750

Morning Attendance: 1020

Afternoon Attendance: 370

Evening Attendance: 110


Architecture Details


Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval

Restoration: J C Buckler 1843

Second Restoration: -


Contact Details


Queries Relating to this Church


To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You