John E. Vigars Kent Church Photographs
Image Source: John Vigar
>From the seventeenth to nineteenth centuries this atmospheric church was a roofless ruin. This goes some way to explaining its Victorian character today. The main walls date from the tenth century when the church was built adjacent to the Roman Pharos within the earthworks of Dover Castle. In 1860 Sir George Gilbert Scott brought the church back into use and his are the roof, windows and doors. Where the rubble stonework and re-used Roman tile had decayed Scott replaced it with uncompromising brick. The window surrounds were designed as before - to such an extent that if we did not have access to early photographs we would assume they were original. In 1889 another architect of national repute, William Butterfield, covered the inside walls with a series of mosaics that give the church the appearance of a huge bathroom. Some earlier features still manage to peep through the Victorian veil, especially the blocked south doorway of tall Saxon proportions and the thirteenth-century two-seater sedilia and double piscina in the chancel. The church is open to visitors to Dover Castle.
1851 Census Details
Seating Capacity: Ruin at the time
Morning Attendance: Ruin at the time
Afternoon Attendance: Ruin at the time
Evening Attendance: Ruin at the time
Original Build Date/Architect: Medieval
Restoration: GG Scott 1860, William Butterfield 1888
Second Restoration: -
Queries Relating to this Church
To contact this church, please try: A Church Near You
All information contained on this website is the intellectual property of John Vigar © 2019.